July 11, 2012 Farmingville, NY – The Brookhaven Town Redistricting Commission will hold public hearings in each Town Council District starting on Monday, July 16. The hearings are being held to permit Town residents, advocates, community groups and others to present their views on how the Town Council’s district lines should be redrawn.
Public hearings will be held at Brookhaven Town facilities in each Town Council district as follows:
- CD 1: Monday, July 16 at 4:00 p.m. - Port Jefferson Village Hall, 101-A East Broadway in Port Jefferson
- CD 2: Tuesday, July 17 at 4:00 p.m. - Brookhaven Senior Recreation Center, Defense Hill Road in Shoreham
- CD 4: Monday, July 23 at 5:00 p.m. - Brookhaven Town Hall, One Independence Hill in Farmingville
- CD 3: Tuesday, July 24 at 5:00 p.m. - Brookhaven Parks Administation Bldg. 286 Hawkins Road in Centereach
- CD 5: Monday, July 30 at 4:00 p.m. - Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center, 39 Montauk Hwy. in Blue Point
- CD 6: Tuesday, July 31 at 4:00 p.m. - Mastic Recreation Center, 15 Herkimer Street in Mastic
This is the first time the Town will use a bipartisan commission to redraw its lines, which will take the politics out of the process and ensure that the redistricting will provide for an equal weight in vote for each Council District. The Town is required to re-evaluate Council District lines every ten years in accordance with the U.S. census.
The Redistricting Commission is comprised of eight members, including: three registered democrats, three registered Republicans, and two registered voters that are neither Republican nor Democrat. The committee is currently reviewing the maps of Brookhaven Town school districts, council districts and streets. The Commission’s redistricting plan must be submitted to the Town by September 15, 2012 and the Town Board must act upon the proposal by December 15, 2012.
Town residents who would like to make a presentation to the Commission should plan to attend the hearing and sign up on a “first come” basis.
For more information and links to census maps and the on-line registration form for the Town's Redistricting Commission Public Hearings, visit